Changing your future
Local Government advances the interests and provides services to communities across Australia.
There are 537 local Councils, Shires and Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Australia employing anywhere between 5 and 8,500 people, depending on the size of the council.
Mayors and councillors of Local Government Areas are elected to represent their community and approve the policies, plans and budgets that guide the work of council staff.
With a spend of around $35 billion annually, people in local government are proud to provide services that positively impact the lives of millions of Australians each day.
Councils operate at the heart of the community and have a responsibility to ensure the future success of our regions
Councils offer so many different career options. You could be:
- Planning, building and managing local infrastructure such as roads, bridges or footpaths
- Designing, managing, improving or maintaining recreation facilities such as parks, sports fields, golf courses, sports centres, camping grounds or caravan parks
- Managing major community assets such as airports, marinas, car parks or council-owned buildings and Crown Land
- Delivering important health services such as water and food inspections, immunisations, noise and animal control
- Managing waste collection or water and sewerage services
- Protecting wetlands and coastal dunes, managing land rehabilitation or leading environmental sustainability
- Operating community care services such as child or aged care, youth and welfare
- Planning the future needs of a city, town or suburb and approving building development proposals
- Helping deliver cultural services such as libraries, art galleries, museums or organising cultural events
- Growing local tourism through visitor centres, festivals, events and markets
As you can see, there’s plenty of opportunity for your skills to find a home.
A Role with Purpose in a Region Steeped in History
Q&A with Conrad Webb, Manager Enterprise Risk Systems – Hawkesbury City Council How long have you worked for Hawkesbury City Council? Nearly a year, although it feels longer - people
Veterans - is the juice worth the squeeze?
Yes, says Mark Bransdon, Learning and Development Officer – People and Performance, Campbelltown City Council. What was your background in the Defence Force? I enlisted into the
A Firm Focus On The Future
Nicole Wilson’s role is all about planning for the future. And she loves it. As Manager Integrated Planning for Western Australia’s Shire of Murray, Nicole develops the strategic
Veterans - a good fit for councils
Mick De Groot, Asset Manager at Gunnedah Shire Council shares why he feels Defence personnel are a good fit for Local Government. What’s your role at Council? I am currently employed as
Friends, Flexibility and a Great Workplace Culture
Q&A with Aimee Hunt, Payroll/HR Officer – Narromine Shire Council We recently caught up with Payroll/HR Officer, Aimee Hunt and talked to her about her role, and what she enjoys about
National local government award winners announced
Councils across the nation have been recognised for their ingenuity in delivering programs to benefit their communities at this year’s National Awards for Local Government. Two of the
Where there is water, there is life.
This is certainly true for Kent Harris, Water and Waste Superintendent for Moree Plains Shire Council. Kent plays an integral role in the delivery of a clean, regular water supply and
Smashing a Few Glass Ceilings
Casey Smith, Moree Plains Shire Council’s Parks and Open Space Superintendent, celebrated ten years with Council in February 2020 and has paved a unique path to the top, while smashing
Victor Zhou: An Asset to the City of Canterbury Bankstown
Located 13kms south west of Sydney’s CBD, the City of Canterbury Bankstown covers an area of 110km2 and serves one of the most culturally, socially and economically diverse communities
An award-winning start with a Career at Council.
Councils across the country are giving young people a great start in their career by offering traineeships and apprenticeships to many hundreds of school students and school leavers. We
Attract the talent you need with Careers at Council
Building a great future for local government means building a great workforce. Developed by local government, for local government, Careers at Council is an online careers hub that
Careers at Council
The scale and diversity of the work we do means Local Government can offer you many different career paths. If you add the ability to make a real difference in your community, you’ll agree there’s no better place to start or grow your career.
Find your Council
With over 500 local councils within Australia, the opportunities are endless. Find out what your local council can offer you today.